well, the children teach

My daily playlists are my personal indulgence, because I love music, and taking note of what I'm listening to, should it happen to spark a synaptic positron of "oh, I like this" in my brain, is my way of pausing in my diurnal activities to usher in the olfactory assets of rosaceae, so to speak. I forget why I mention this, except that I sometimes feel self-conscious of the fact that instead of the intended word-based exposition of my blogitious expressions, my daily offerings principally consist of a photo I happen to like and a list of music that floated my boat. Er, so, moving right along...

This morning when Cream's classic 1967 rock album Disraeli Gears popped up at random in the MP3 shuffle, Gabriel marched into the room with a big grin on his face and declared, "It's School of Rock!" I thought about it, and figured there was a good chance that indeed the song we were listening to was featured in the Jack Black movie, but I wasn't absolutely sure. "Oh, is this song in the movie?" I asked. "This part is: 'nuh-nuh-nuh NUH, NUH, NUH, NUH'", he sang, accentuating the familiar bass guitar riff of "Sunshine of Your Love", the song that happened to be playing.


A brief Google confirmed that this song is on the School of Rock soundtrack. I should have known this already, but almost all knowledge I have of rock music was acquired through osmosis, having heard it as a kid when my older brothers were playing it. At that time I didn't pay that much attention, so, I'm not as familiar with the particulars of rock history as I would like to be.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I just wanted to note my son's prodigious musical sensibilities, because I made a vow to pay more attention to this sort of thing.

Oh, and, another item...
Gabriel came up with a phrase last night: "awake nap". I had asked him if his older brother was asleep, because of the telltale quietude in the house. "No, he's having an awake nap," he told me, and when I asked him to clarify, he explained that this meant he was lying down, but his eyes were open. Julian had snuggled up next to Meera, who had gone to sleep for the night, and he was just resting there, not having fallen asleep.

* * *

Meera, traveling with her mother, is out of town for the weekend. Next month her little sister is getting married, her brother is graduating college, and her father is retiring. In this, the first of four road trips to Southern California in the next few weeks, Meera will be attending the bridal shower and bachelorette party for her sister. I hope everyone has a great time. We all miss her around here already, and look forward to her return on Monday.

(Pictured: Cream, left to right: Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, and Eric Clapton)

    From the day's playlist...

  • Variation 16 - Ouverture─New English Chamber Orchestra; Dmitry Sitkovetsky, conductor─Bach: Goldberg Variations (Transcribed for Strings by Dmitry Sitkovetsky)
  • Get Behind the Mule─Tom Waits─VH1 Storytellers
  • You’ve Got A Friend─Carole King
  • Cream─Disraeli Gears (entire album)
  • Iko Iko─Dr. John
  • Good Morning Good Morning─The Beatles─Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
  • Sergei Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky Cantata, Op.78─Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, Andre Prévin, conductor (This is a totally awesome piece that I don't listen to nearly as often as I should. By far my favorite Prokofiev...if I put it in a separate category from Peter and the Wolf)
  • Mrs. Robinson─Simon & Garfunkel─The Essential Simon & Garfunkel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Eternal Idol, Dancing Sculpture (video)

Cooking Made Simple - Booklet for Jenn-Air/Maytag Ranges

Liberace and Edward R. Murrow